History of USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service

white line

The timeline below details the history of FSIS and its predecessors, from 1862 to the present.

Formation of USDA’s Division of Chemistry

In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln founded the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and appointed a chemist, Charles M. Wetherill, to lead USDA’s Division of Chemistry, which in 1901 became the Bureau of Chemistry.

more on the USDA website

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email